Hi, how are you? How are you feeling? What’s on your mind? (Freezes up, turns around, and runs in the other direction.) Does direct communication bother you? In conversations? In advertising? In music? Sometimes we just need people to chill and be cool for a while. Communication will happen when it happens. Other times, we need direct communication, and we need it urgently. The challenge is to know which kind of communication is needed for which situation. This becomes especially clear in art, marketing, and in building community.
BT 2: Instrumental Metal and the Tyranny of Direct Communication
This episode talks about:
- Why I love instrumental metal.
- A classic example of direct communication in art (from Willie Nelson and Tom Bahler).
- The importance of direct communication in worship/church music.
- What to do when you don’t want to use direct communication in your art (or marketing).
- Examples of direct and indirect communication in marketing.
- The importance of using indirect communication in personal relationships.
This episode’s playlist:
Willie Nelson’s epic example of direct communication in art, from the 1997 film “Wag the Dog”:
January 30, 2019